Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tera EU - Sneak Peeks/Server Tests - Review


After trying Tera for some days during the Server Tests/Sneak Peeks and after playing few characters, up to level 22, I decided to make a small review of what I think of the game. Of course I haven't seen everything Tera has to offer but I believe to have a lot of informations about it already.

Graphics (8/10): No need to play the game for long time to notice the awesome graphics and engine of Tera. I love how everything looks bright and every part of the map is filled with details like flowers or rocks instead of just endless terrain texture. I have a good PC but in other games like Star Wars: TOR I had issues with fps drops in crowded places, in Tera i never swapped even in very crowded areas having max details and graphics.


Setting (9/10):  I played a lot of mmorpgs and, recently, there is this trend of the "constant war" world, filled with dark atmosphere and chaos and misery everywhere. Personally, I don't like it, sure can be more exiting, at first, but after awhile becomes just dull and repetitive, I prefer a mostly peaceful world like Tera or some areas of World of Warcraft (ashenvale, westfall, azshara, feralas etc. ), where i can enjoy going around and look at the fluffy green hills or magical forests. I haven't seen all of the world of Tera but so far it had a very happy and magical touch and I really had a lot of fun exploring it.


Music/Sounds (7/10): I liked the musics of the game very much. Usually when i grind or quest I put some music of my own but with Tera i didn't do so because game musics fitted the areas and the experience perfectly. My only complain is that sometimes the musics stops for quite a long time and takes a while before they resume, would have preferred a shorter time between one song and another.


Gameplay (8/10): I was bit sceptical about the "aim to hit your skills" mechanic but felt very nice to try it and makes grinding mobs a lot less painful and more interesting, even tho less relaxing :P. I tryed almost all of the game's classes and I found that some have way too few abilities compared to others. Mystic, for example. has in the first levels a lot more skills then slayer or berserk. The pve part of the game is very well made, mobs are funny and there are a lot of Bams(bad ass monsters) and Elite mobs around to prove your skills and have an exiting fight.

PvP (6?/10): One of the most important factors in mmorpgs for me is PvP, I always loved competition and to learn how to play better by doing PvP. Its of huge importance that classes are balanced to have a nice experience in PvP and I have seen a lot of other mmorpgs like rift(at start) and swtor fail completely under that aspect. Since I only played up to level 22 i don't know if the game is balanced but judging only from my experience (very limited, again :P ) the game seems very very unbalanced, some classes do way too much damage compared to others and don't get punished that much by mistakes in the fight while other classes instantly die from a single one.
Overall damage is too high, everything seems to implode when focused even little bit and I didn't enjoy that very much but, as I said, its early to judge this aspect of the game too seriously. :3

Overall Tera seemed a great game to have fun and explore, has new things compared to other mmorpgs and I hope will get even better when full game releases.

I'll make a more complete review after playing the game more time and experiencing more of what has to offer, so follow me! :3
                                     http://www.youtube.com/user/TeraPanpan?feature=mhee




No comments:

Post a Comment